Monday, September 10, 2007

Cookie Monster's Me-Love-Mini-Meat-Loaves

I'm a glutton for kitchy cookbooks. There's something about the allure of classic shows and movies having recipe collections out there to taunt me with. This is why I own C Is For Cooking: Recipes From the Street. Not because I was a huge fan as a kid (I was on Team Muppets) or because I have children (which I don't). I had to buy it for the campy, cheesiness of it. And I don't regret it for one minute! I have found some great recipes from the book, like this meatloaf recipe. This cookbook also gave me the idea of topping off scrambled eggs with strawberry jam.....who'd a thunk?
So Joe hates meatloaf. He said his mom made it too often while they were growing up. I am the opposite. I love it because I never had it growing up! I literally didn't taste meatloaf until I was 22 and now I'm a huge fan. I was initially drawn to this recipe because of the addition of oatmeal and also because it was in muffin form. Being the great wife that I am, I made these meatloaf muffins but told Joe that they were called "dinner muffins" so that he'd eat them. Don't worry, after he ate three of them I revealed their true name and repented of my ways. He's now a lover of meatloaf again, but not a lover of my tricky ways. It was for his own good, right?
COOKIE MONSTER'S ME-LOVE-MINI-MEAT-LOAVES
  • 1 egg
  • 1 lb. ground meat for meatloaf (I prefer turkey but some like a mix of beef, pork, and veal)
  • 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 1 onion, grated
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 1/3 cup ketchup (I substitute BBQ sauce for a spicy kick)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 8 muffin cups with vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. With clean hands or a wooden spoon, mix until well blended. Divide the mixture into 8 equal-size balls. Place a ball of meat into each muffin cup and press down lightly. Bake until meatloaves are no longer pink in the center, 20-25 minutes.



1 comment:

aja said...

I LOVE your blog!!! I have to bookmark it since there are about 12 recipes I wanna try!!

Campy cookbooks? Try "A Musical Feast; Recipes from over 100 of the world's most famous musical artists". Where else could you find Tanya Tucker's recipe for cornbread, Heavy D.'s hominy recipe, and Meatloaf's cheese grits loaf? And not campy, but I think you'd like it (lots of bright colors and food art) Bob Blumer's "Off the Eaten Path : Inspired Recipes for Adventurous Cooks".

Hope the pickles turn out well!!!!

Sincerely,
Another Lisa

Blog Widget by LinkWithin