Friday, November 21, 2008

Sweet Potato Casserole


A few years ago I was on the hunt for a sweet potato casserole recipe that did not included marshmallows. Now don't get me wrong, those kind are delicious, but I wanted something different to WOW my family with. I found this recipe and we all love it! We never even miss the marshmallow kind anymore. The orange zest that it calls for is so perfect in this dish.

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
  • 3 tablespoon butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
  • 3 tablespoon butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Combine the brown sugar, pecans, coconut, and flour. Stir with a fork and set aside.

Combine the mashed potatoes, sugar eggs, milk, orange zest, butter, vanilla, and salt with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the brown sugar mixture and stir to combine.

Pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 glass baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

This is very similar to the sweet potato casserole I make every year for Thanksgiving. I think sweet potatoes are my favorite Thanksgiving food! YUMMY.

Megan said...

This sounds so good. Almost like a dessert. I could eat it for dessert, or breakfast, or anytime. sweet potatos are right up there next to pumpkin on my favorites list!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin