THAI CHICKEN WITH BASIL
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, tightly packed
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 green or red Thai chiles, stemmed (or you can use 2 serranos or 1 medium jalapeno)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Pulse chicken and 1 tablespoon fish sauce in food processor until meat is chopped into approximate 1/4-inch pieces (6-8 pulses). Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Stir shallots and oil into basil mixture in skillet. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until garlic and shallots are golden brown.
Add chicken, increase heat to medium, and cook, stirring until traces of pink remain. Add reserved basil-fish sauce mixture and continue to cook, stirring constantly until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in remaining cup basil leaves and cook, stirring constantly, until basil is wilted. Serve immediately.