Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Sourdough" Pancakes


If I could eat breakfast for every meal, I would. No seriously, I would. A few years ago my mother-in-law introduced me to sourdough pancakes and my life has never been the same. It changed immediately....and in a good way.

Now, the only problem with sourdough pancakes is the sourdough part. I mean, who has starter just hanging around for one to make sourdough bread, pancakes, etc, on a whim? Surprisingly enough, there's people out there who not only have starter always around, but have had it around FOR 90 YEARS! Yes, you read that right. Here's an excerpt from the owner of the Alaska's Treehouse Bed & Breakfast: "Our sourdough starter is over 90 years old and was handed down from an Alaskan pioneer woman to our good friends, who then shared it with us over twenty years ago. We frequently send a small amount off with guests so they can nurture their own sourdough pot and make these special pancakes... a traditional Alaskan pioneer breakfast. So the same starter now has traveled all over the States and beyond." Ummm, yeah. That's a bit overkill.

Anyways, I found an AWESOME recipe for Quick Yeast Raised Pancakes that taste just like sourdough pancakes. I got it out of my Best of the Best from Colorado Cookbook. My goal is to collect all of the Best of the Best State Cookbooks, and I have 5. I'm 10% of the way there!

"SOURDOUGH" PANCAKES or QUICK YEAST RAISED PANCAKES
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 cups unbleached flour
  • 3 tbsp dry active yeast
  • 1 tsp salt

In small saucepan, heat milk, eggs, oil, and honey to 120 degrees. Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, mix flour, yeast, and salt. Pour liquids over flour mixture and whisk for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Set bowl in a warm spot for about 10 minutes. The batter will rise during this time. Heat griddle to medium-high and oil. Stir down batter and ladle 1/4 cup of batter onto lightly greased griddle. Cook 2-3 miuntes, turn and cook 1-2 minutes longer. They should rise nicely and turn golden brown.

1 comment:

Anjie said...

Lisa,
Hi, I was just stopping by to check out your blog. It is beautiful and fun. Now I know where to go for great recipes beside the food network. I am looking forward to life calming down enough to start experimenting in the kitchen again. The nice thing about Portland (and any big city) is the variety of foods available. I just stood in awe of the cheese section the other day at the market. Some types of cheese were very hard to find in Utah and then cost an arm and a leg when you did find them. I hope things are going well with you. Tell the girls hello, and to you I say happy cooking!
Love,
Anjie Bodily

Blog Widget by LinkWithin