Saturday, September 29, 2007

Fresh Spinach, Orzo, and Chicken Soup


Very few of us women seem to feel completely happy with our bodies. Despite all the helpful pep talks we get about how "every woman is beautiful in her own way," we know, deep down, that it isn't really true. Right? There really are "attractive" and "unattractive" body types, and we could all use some help. So here’s how to get that figure any woman would want:
First you take an ounce and a half of oyl of foxes, oyl of lillies, and capons grease…Oh, wait. This isn’t the 17th Century.

In our modern times, we have our choice of diet centers, diet pills, pre-packaged diet foods, and many more options that I could find out about tonight watching infomercials. I've tried a few diets in my time, and although I do lose weight...it all comes back. So I've opted for a new plan to get in shape.....I got myself a personal trainer! And let me tell you.....I'm sitting here on the couch, stiff and unable to move because my body is screaming out in pain. You'll notice that my recipes that I'm posting will be getting healthier. I have to keep a food journal, so there's no cheating unless I want to hear it from my trainer. And Joe has become my enemy because he checks my food journal to make sure I'm not lying. This is an extremely flavorful soup and doesn't taste diet-y at all! I got it out of the new Costco cookbook which can be downloaded from their website.

(And by the way, the "fox oyl" and the rest of the above ingredients are just the beginning, and the result is a poultice that you slap on your midsection to melt excess fat and make your breasts less saggy. Does it work? Well, we’ll report back—just as soon as we find a more cooperative fox.)

FRESH SPINACH, ORZO, AND CHICKEN SOUP
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in 1-inch cubes
  • Sea salt and pepper
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp ground coriander (I had fresh cilantro on hand, so I used about 1/4 cup of this instead and I would do this again!)
  • Pinch of cinnamon (I used about 1/4 tsp)
  • 1 32-ounce container chicken broth
  • 2/3 cup orzo
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I would recommend omitting this, Joe and I thought it tasted better without it)
  • 6 lemon wedges

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear until lightly browned, remove to a plate.

Reduce heat to medium, add onion and garlic, and saute until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add spices and stir for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add orzo and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add chicken, bring soup back to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide spinach among bowls and ladle hot soup over spinach. Garnish with Parmesan and lemon wedges. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

The Hokanson Family said...

This one sounds so good. I'm loving any sort of soup right now. Being pregnant I crave different things every week, but this week I'd have soup for every meal! Thanks Lisa!

The Hokanson Family said...

Man! Where have I been?!?!? I just scrolled down and saw I've missed quite a few awesome recipe's...I'm glad I can finally stomach getting on my computer again. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin