- 8 slices firm white or whole-wheat sandwich bread or 5-inch sections baguette bread split horizontally, toasted
- 3 tablespoons good-quality, fairly spicy, pepper jelly
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 12 strips good-quality bacon, cooked crisp and still warm
- 4 large leaves red-leaf lettuce, optional
1. Spread one side of each of 4 pieces of toast with pepper jelly, dividing it evenly and using it all. Spread one side of each of the other 4 pieces of toast with the peanut butter, dividing it evenly and using it all. Lay 3 strips of bacon over each of the pepper jam-covered slices of bread. Top the bacon with the lettuce, if you are using it. Set the peanut butter-covered slices of toast in place.
2. With a serrated knife, cut the sandwiches in half diagonally and serve immediately.