Monday, October 15, 2007

Fried Eats

Sorry for the delay in posting....I went to Texas and did a lot of eating, but no cooking! It was so much fun to go back to my hometown and visit with highschool friends that I hadn't seen in years......but one of my most memorable experiences was going to the Texas State Fair. Erica and I ate the YUMMIEST food that was so unbelievably bad for you. Let me tell you about our culinary journey:

We first started out with a famous Fletcher's Corny Dog. And yes, I did say Corny Dog....with a "y". For years Joe thought I was the biggest dork for calling them this instead of corn dogs, BUT THAT'S THEIR NAME! I even took a pic for him to prove it. Did you know that the corny dog was invented at the Texas State Fair in 1942? I actually didn't know this, but I'm not surprised. The best things come from Texas. =) Ok, back on track. I had a jalapeno cheese corny dog and it was everything I hoped it would be.


We next moved on to fried cookie dough. Yes, you read that correctly. Just imagine a crispy, golden ball that when you bite into it you are suddenly eating soft, warm cookie dough. If you can't imagine this, then you can just see me eating it:


At this point, Erica and I were feeling pretty sick. The fried cookie dough was pretty rich. Erica thought that maybe we'd feel better if we ate some curly fries and water. This did not help.



We decided to hold off on eating and spent an hour or so looking at the different exhibits and Erica's favorite - the auto show. After looking at vehicles and getting pictures with Big Tex, we were ready to try some more fried goodness. On the list of the top fried foods, the winner this year was Mama's Fried Sweet Potato Pie, so naturally we had to eat some. I bought it with the intention of sharing it with Erica, but she failed to inform me that she doesn't like sweet potatoes, so I had to eat it alone.


At this point I for real was done with sweets, but could try just one more thing. The second place fried food winner were Zesty Fried Guacamole Bites. These are crispy balls are filled with guacamole, monterrey jack cheese, and salsa.....they were SPICY! I like to think that the "zesty-ness" of these bites sped up my metabolism to work off the fried part of it.


At this point, we were DONE with food. We felt so lethargic because of all the fried food....similar to the feeling you get after eating a huge Thanksgiving meal. We waddled back to our car and vowed never to eat sweets or fried foods again.

Just in case you are curious, here's the 2007 Big Tex Choice Award Finalists:
  1. Mama's Fried Sweet Potato Pie
  2. Zesty Fried Guacamole Bites
  3. B.W.'s Original Fried Banana Pudding
  4. Texas Fried Cookie Dough
  5. Country Fried Peach Cobbler-on-a-Stick
  6. Deep Fried Latte
  7. Fernie's Fried Chili Frito Burrito

Other fried foods we saw that weren't finalists:

  • Fried Coca-Cola
  • Fried Oreos
  • Fried Nutter Butters
  • Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches (I was so mad I didn't see this before since I love PBJs!)
  • Fried Alligator (I've had this before and it's excellent)
  • Fried Boudain Balls
  • Fried Cheesecake
  • Fried Bananas

9 comments:

Emily said...

Omigosh! I would probably be sick!
I admire you though. You did it for research, and I thank you.
How do you fry a latte?

Lisa K said...

The fried latte and fried coke were just fried balls of dough dipped in either latte or coke flavoring. Then they were rolled in powder sugar.

The Yosts said...

WHAT! You were in TX!! So close to me and I didn't even know it! Shame on you :) We didn't go to the fair this year but that fried cookie dough sounds very yummy. Did you ever try the fried twinkie?

kristen said...

wow! sounds like our IHOP breakfast was the healthy part of your weekend! glad you had fun-how did the 5k go?

Lisa K said...

STEPHANIE - Yes, sorry I was so close and didn't call! My friend flew me out for the weekend, so I stayed with her the whole time. I'll come out again and see you next time!! And no, I couldn't eat a fried twinkie...I can't even eat them unfried.

KRISTEN - I only ate bad at the State Fair! I promise that I ate salads for every other meal. =)

Megan said...

I want some!

Jeff said...

Disgusting. Simply DISGUSTING.

And tthough the quality of this blog has gone down the toilet, it still remains an excellent dieting program...

...just read it and you won't be able to stomach a thing for several hours.

Thanks Lisa for my girlish hips!

Classic cook said...

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, the sweet potato pie and guacamole bites sound so good! I've read about the fried Pepsi/Coke but I still can't quite fathom it.

By the way, I posted the list of 50 recipes for beginners from the Boston Cooking School Cookbook that you requested :-)

Tim and Kristine said...

Sounds like fun, that is sure a lot of food, but looks delicious! Thanks for this blog, I love all of the ideas!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin