Friday, October 19, 2007

Gingered Pear Freezer Jam

A few weeks ago I was browsing through, a favorite past-time of mine, when I came across an ad from a local orchard that was selling 40 lb. boxes of bartlett pears for $15. What a steal! Of course I had to be a part of this, so I called and and bought boxes of pears for some coworkers and then 2 boxes for myself. Over the past few weeks I've been mainly bottling my 80 lbs. of pears, but I also experimented with Pear Sauce (like applesauce, but with pears), Pear Honey (it's the consistency of honey, it doesn't have honey in it), and Gingered Pear Jam. I haven't tasted any of the pears that I've bottled, sauced, or honeyed (I just made that word up), but I had to dive into the jam.

The recipe is one that I found online and the recipe earned a World Blue Ribbon award in the Ball World Freezer Jam Recipe Contest. How could I not make this?! It is an absolutely delicious jam. I'll admit that I was a bit surprised at the taste - you first get hit with the ginger. If you don't like ginger....don't even attempt this recipe! Then you get a refreshing citrus taste, and then the pear flavor comes out. And since this is a freezer jam, it is unbelievably easy to make. No cooking required!

  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 package Ball Simple Freezer Jam Fruit Pectin
  • 3 1/2 cups pear puree
  • 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon ginger powder
  • 5 plastic Ball (8 ounce) freezer jars (Any plastic container would suffice)

Process pears in food processor or blender until smooth. Stir sugar and pectin in a bowl until well blended. Add pear puree and the rest of the ingredients. Stir for 3 minutes. Ladle jam into clean jars/containers to fill line. Let stand until thickened, about 30 minutes.

Refrigerate up to three weeks or freeze up to one year.


Savage fam said...

ok, no comment for the jam, but you should totally do niagara falls. oh and once again, I am sure your jam is really good.

kristen & brandon said...

i like ginger a little bit, but i'm not sure i could handle a bunch, but i love pears, i wish i would have got your message sooner about getting me some!

Vickie said...

Hi Lisa,
I really like your blog. Your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for visiting mine!

b davis said...

This has amazing flavor. Thank you for sharing. I don't think the ginger is over-powering at all! Delicious!

hambyla said...

Why not fresh ginger for this recipe?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin