The night before Thanksgiving she made a recipe out of this cookbook, and while I originally volunteered to be her sous chef, I ended up just peeling apples the whole time for apple pie. This is a great way to eat mac and cheese, and definitely a healthier alternative than the Kraft version.
BAKED MAC AND CHEESE
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces shredded American cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce (I would add more next time)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
While the macaroni is hot, add the cheeses to the pan; stir well. Spread the macaroni mixture in the prepared baking dish. In a bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, eggs, butter, hot sauce, and salt. Pour the milk mixture over the macaroni.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling,. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.