Our realtor recently sent us a newsletter that had a recipe with it that looked delicious. I'm a huge fan of cheese balls and will take any excuse to make one. Since yesterday was the beginning of college football, I found that to be a wonderful time to have a cheese ball out for people to eat!
This cheese ball is very light tasting and it reminded me of a lemon cheesecake. It's very lowfat also which is probably why Joe and his dad nicknamed this a "girl's cheese ball".
PISTACHIO LEMON CHEESE BALL
- 2 packages Neufchatel cheese or light cream cheese
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled and finely chopped
For one large cheese ball, shape into dome on appetizer tray. Or to make mini cheese balls, shape level tablespoon amounts into small balls; using damp hands to prevent sticking. Press remaining pistachios onto outside to coat.