I really love roasted vegetables and I don't know why I don't roast them more often. It's quite easy to do and makes your house smell delicious! This is a Giada De Laurentiis recipe, my favorite Italian chef on Food Network. Everything I have made by her has been a huge hit. Joe and I both love this dish plus it's very healthy. Neither of us even miss eating meat when we have this for dinner.
BAKED PENNE WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
- 2 red pepper, cored and cut into 1 in wide strips
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 in segments
- 6 baby bella mushrooms, halved
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb mix
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 cup marinara sauce (I just used pasta sauce)
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, divided
On a baking sheet, toss the peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, and onions with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and dried herbs. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for about 6 minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still hard. Drain in a colander.
In a large bowl, toss the drained pasta with the roasted vegetables, marinara sauce, cheeses, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix, until all the pasta is coated with the sauce and the ingredients are combined.
Pour the pasta into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Bake until top is golden and cheese melts, about 25 minutes.