LENTIL AND SWEET POTATO SALAD
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 2 pinches red chili powder
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Leaves from 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 cups of lentils, washed and picked through
- 2 tablespoons torn parsley leaves
Toss the sweet potatoes with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, the maple syrup and one pinch of chili. Roast, stirring, until caramelized and a paring knife slips easily through a piece, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the additional two tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the remaining pinch of chili, onion, carrot, garlic, oregano, pepper and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are a bit softened and just beginning to brown. Add the lentils and four cups of cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, turn down to low, cover, and simmer for about 40 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
Let the lentils cool to room temperature. Fold the lentils together with the sweet potatoes. Drizzle with your good olive oil, sprinkle with salt and parsley, and serve.