Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Homemade Pasta


I mentioned in my last post that I attended a cooking class based on different herbs and this was another recipe that we made there. I never had an interest in making my own pasta, especially when it's so cheap! Well, until that night, I don't think I had ever eaten homemade pasta and HOLY COW it's delicious! It tastes soooo much better than the storebought kind. We made this dough and cooked it all within an hour, so it's not as hard as I thought it would be either. If you've never tried to make it before, just do it once to see how much better it is!!

HOMEMADE PASTA
  • 2 cups all purpose flour or wheat flour
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, sage, thyme, basil, cilantro, oregano, or marjoram (optional but well worth it)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Ice water
In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt to blend. With the machine on, add minced herbs and the eggs one at a time. Add one or two tablespoons of cold water as needed. Knead the dough until it forms a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for at least 30 minutes before rolling.

Cut dough into 4 quarters. Working with one quarter at a time, roll out on a floured surface until as thin as you like your pasta. Cut the rolled pasta in long narrow strips or the shape that you desire.

Cook in salted boiling water for 4-6 minutes. Makes about 1 pound.

4 comments:

Cassie said...

I just got a food processor! I'm gonna give it a try!

Katerina said...

It's a revelation isn't it? What kind of sauce did you top it with?

Lisa K said...

I just used some pasta sauce out of a jar. I made homemade meatballs and ran out of time to do sauce too.

Becky at VintageMixer said...

good to see a pasta recipe that doesn't require a pasta maker!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin