Wednesday, June 24, 2009

White Lasagna

Now that Joe and I have theme nights for dinner, Joe has been such a big help in menu planning! I asked what he wanted and he told me that he wanted white lasagna. I had no clue what that was and he told me that a coworker brought it to work the other day and it looked really good. The only description he gave me, besides the fact that it's white, is that there was chicken in it. So I went to AllRecipes.com and they had this recipe.

We both really liked it! The only change I'd make next time is to add fresh spinach instead of frozen spinach. I don't know if it's the fact that I know it's frozen and gross looking or that it tastes different, but I just don't like it. I would definitely recommend trying this if you haven't had it yet!
WHITE LASAGNA
  • 9 lasagna noodles
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil (I used fresh)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano (I used fresh)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 cups ricotta cheese
  • 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken meat
  • 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the flour and salt, and simmer until bubbly. Mix in the broth and milk, and boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Season with the basil, oregano, and ground black pepper. Remove from heat, and set aside.


Spread 1/3 of the sauce mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer with 1/3 of the noodles, the ricotta, and the chicken. Arrange 1/3 of the noodles over the chicken, and layer with 1/3 of the sauce mixture, spinach, and the remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Arrange remaining noodles over cheese, and spread remaining sauce evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.


Bake 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven.

4 comments:

Cassie said...

That sounds delicious! I prefer fresh spinach over the frozen stuff, too -- mostly because it seems like I can never get all the liquid out of the frozen stuff, and it ends up leaking throughout the dish. SO appetizing.

How are the theme nights going for you? I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks and so far I've been pretty consistent. For the most part.

Lisa K said...

The theme nights are going really well for us! It's so nice actually having input from Joe on dinner ideas. It's also saved me lots of money grocery shopping. I used to average $100 on groceries and now I'm averaging $

Lisa K said...

Sorry, computer went haywire on me. That should say $60.

The Food Addicts said...

Wow I can't wait to try this. I have never heard of this before sounds very interesting though. Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin