Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Shepherd's Pie

This is one of our favorite dinners to eat around here. I can remember when I was younger when my best friend told me that her family was going to eat Shepherds Pie for dinner thinking that that sounded like the most disgusting thing in the world. I could only imagine that shepherds would put really gross things into their pies - like lamb. =)

I ran across this recipe on AllRecipes.com years ago and we've been making it regularly ever since. If you've never had it, it's similar to a hamburger pie but a lot better! It's even easier to prepare when you have leftover mashed potatoes.

SHEPHERDS PIE
  • 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (I cheat and use instant potatoes or leftover mashed potatoes)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 5 carrots, chopped (I used 1 bag of baby carrots)
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 pound lean ground beef (I like to add seasoning to my meat, so do that if you want. I like Montreal Steak seasoning, personally)
  • 2 tablespoon flour
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 3/4 cup beef broth
  • 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • ***Sometimes I like to add other veggies to the meat mixture like peas or green beans. Peas are the best in this dish.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash. Mix in butter, finely chopped onion and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, mash and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.)


Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook until clear. Add ground beef and cook until well browned. Pour off excess fat, then stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add ketchup and beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Spread the ground beef in an even layer on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Next, spread a layer of mashed carrots. Top with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love shepherds pie. Mine is never the same twice because I always use whatever veggies I have around. I really like broccoli in it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin