STRAWBERRY SHEET CAKE
- 12 oz .fresh strawberries, stems removed and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups of sugar plus 2 teaspoons
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Sift the sugar and flour together in a bowl.
Melt the butter on low in a saucepan and then whisk it with the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and baking soda. Add the liquid to the flour and then stir in one cup of the crushed strawberries.
Pour batter into greased 9x13 inch pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cake is done when a knife comes out clean from the center. Let it cool and then frost with the strawberry cream cheese frosting (recipe below).
Note: The cake will be a little brown. This, I hear, is because of the alkaline reaction of the ingredients. Do not be alarmed!
STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1/4 pound of butter (1 stick) at room temperature
- 8 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 2 teaspoons of lime juice (about half a lime)
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Note: Depending on how juicy your berries are, your icing may be runnier than usual. If this is the case, I'd add more cream cheese to thicken it up.