SOURDOUGH BREAD STUFFING
- 1-pound sourdough bread loaf
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 2-4 stalks of celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- About 10 sprigs of thyme, leaves stripped from the stem
- 10-12 sage leaves, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons parsley
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
Tear the bread into bite-sized pieces and spread out onto 2 baking sheets. Toast the bread in the oven for about 20 minutes and then transfer to a mixing bowl.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and add the mushrooms; saute for about 6 minutes. Then add 2 more tablespoons of butter and the celery, onion and thyme. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add the sage and 4 more tablespoons of butter. Add the broth and stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
Pour this mixture over the toasted bread and mix. Pour this mixture into the baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.