Friday, February 10, 2012

Stacked Enchiladas

 I got this recipe from a recent Taste of Home but changed it up a bit. I try to make meatless dinners 2-3 times a week and find that Mexican food is the easiest to do this with because beans taste great in every dish. So this recipe calls for chicken and I just left it out and added more beans and veggies instead. We loved this and it was so much easier to make compared to regular enchiladas.

STACKED ENCHILADAS
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon each of cumin, chili powder and black pepper
  • 1 8-ounce jar of enchilada sauce
  • 9 6-inch round corn tortillas
  • 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
In a large skillet, saute the pepper, corn, beans, garlic and onion in the oil for 5 minutes. Once everything is heated through and crisp-tender, season with spices and add enchilada sauce. Transfer to a bowl.

In a greased 9-inch pie plate, place three tortillas in a clover shape. Add 1/3 of the bean and veggie mixture on top of the tortillas and sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the cheese. Repeat this layer twice.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through. Remove to a serving plate and cut into wedges.

1 comment:

Julia M. said...

You have inspired me, and this is in the oven right now. I also started Rebecca today, and I'm afraid I will be rather worthless until I'm through. I can't get enough! See you tomorrow!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin