Friday, July 4, 2008

Chicago Dog Salad


A couple of years ago I wanted to make a salad for 4th of July and came across the Chicago Dog Salad by Rachel Ray. I thought it sounding very intriguing - it's the whole hot dog, minus the bun! It turned out really good and has become a tradition to eat on the 4th of July. I had totally spaced that we eat this (thanks to my pregnancy) so at the last minute I ran to the store so we could have this for dinner. I was thinking as I was eating it tonight that this is an excellent dish to get kids to eat vegetables, because what kid doesn't like something with hot dogs in it?

CHICAGO DOG SALAD
  • 1/4 cup yellow mustard
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar, eyeball it
  • 1 rounded teaspoon sugar
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (separated)
  • 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 of a 16-ounce sack shredded cabbage blend for slaw salads
  • 1 romaine heart, shredded
  • 2 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
  • 3 large half sour or garlic pickles, chopped (I prefer regular dill)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 8 hot dogs, cut into 1-inch-thick slices on an angle (I like beef or turkey dogs)
In the bottom of a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, sugar, and about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the onions, cabbage, romaine, tomatoes, and pickles and toss the salad. Season with salt and pepper, adjust seasonings, and reserve.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (1 turn of the pan) then arrange the sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear them a couple of minutes on each side. Remove to paper towels to drain.

Mound up the salad on plates, top with seared dogs, and serve.

2 comments:

Cris, Jon, Austin and Ethan said...

Man, Lisa! You make even hot dogs look de-lish! I love going to your blog for recipes!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users. I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your blog

I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin