Friday, October 24, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup


Like I mentioned in the previous post, my grandpa continuously supplies me with various types of squash throughout the fall season. In fact, last night he gave me a spaghetti squash, so I'll have to find a recipe for that one! This soup is one of my favorites. I adapted it from a recipe my sister-in-law, Ashlie, gave me. It's very simple to make and is very healthy too!

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
  • 1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
  • 1 large onion, peeled and quartered (I like to use a sweet onion, like Vidalia or Walla Walla)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (if you don't have this, do equal parts cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg to equal 1 teaspoon)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.

Place squash halves (cut side up) and onion onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the squash with salt and pepper.


Roast in the center of the oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until the squash is tender. Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.


Scrape the flesh from the squash and place into the food processor along with the roasted onion and garlic. Puree until smooth. Add broth if necessary. Transfer the pureed mixture to a stockpot and stir in broth. Season with the bay leaf, brown sugar, curry powder, oregano, pumpkin pie spice and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.
Remove bay leaf and serve hot. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.

1 comment:

Shan @ Design Gal said...

Oh my gosh! You read my mind! I was up at Stien Eriksen for work meetings last week and they served the most DELICIOUS butternut squash soup! I've been wanting to try to make it! THANKS!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin