Thursday, January 8, 2009

Caramelized Onion, Brie & Ham Croissants with a Rice-Apple Medley

I found both of the recipes in the 4 Ingredient Cookbook that I got when I left the nest and headed for college. At that time, I HATED cooking and really never did it until I was a senior in college. I lived off of boxed pastas, burritos, ramen noodles, or ate out for 3 years. I don't remember who gave me this cookbook but I should have used it since most of the recipes have 4 ingredients or less.

This meal was very good! I had never had brie before (that I can remember) so I really wanted to try this sandwich. Joe and I love rice, so I thought this medley would go great with the sandwich. It was a perfect combo!

CARAMELIZED ONION, BRIE & HAM CROISSANTS
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
  • 8 slices Canadian bacon
  • 4 large croissants, halved lengthwise
  • 8 ounces Brie cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove onion and set aside.

In the same skillet, heat bacon, turning once.

On a baking sheet, arrange 4 croissant halves. Evenly top with bacon, then onions, then cheese. Bake 2 minutes or until cheese is slightly melted. Top with remaining croissant halves and serve hot.

RICE-APPLE MEDLEY
  • 1 package long-grain and wild rice mix
  • 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 cup chopped Golden Delicious apple
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
Prepare rice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add 1/2 cup cheese, apple, mushroom and celery to rice; toss to combine. Spoon mixture into casserole dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with remaining cheese; bake until cheese melts, about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin