Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Corn Oysters


I was quite the tomboy growing up. I never had Barbies, baby dolls (I preferred stuffed animals), or anything else "girly". The exception to this was American Girl Dolls. I fell in love with the books and then just had to get the dolls to go with them. I never played with the dolls, I just wanted to collect them and showcase them on a shelf in my room. I'm assuming this cookbook came with a purchase of one of the dolls. I don't remember ever seeing it when I was a kid but found it with my mom's cookbooks a few years ago. The cookbook is for very beginner cooks - under the age of 12. So I decided to challenge myself with the hardest recipe in the whole cookbook - Corn Oysters.

The book describes Corn Oysters as "corn patties in the shape of a fashionable seafood to look elegant on the table". This is apparently a dish that Samantha would have eaten in the early 1900s. Joe and I really like these corn oysters, although my didn't have the shape of oysters, they just looked like small corn pancakes. Nonetheless, they were very good and pretty easy to make. I'll definitely make them again as a side dish.

CORN OYSTERS
  • 2 cups frozen corn kernels (I used canned corn because I have a ton of them on hand)
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
Rinse the frozen corn with water just until the ice crystals disappear. Place the corn in the bowl. Add the milk, flour, egg, salt and pepper. Stir to mix. Lay paper towels on top of a platter, then set it aside. Place the skillet over medium heat. Add butter and oil. When the butter melts completely, carefully put 6 rounded spoonfuls of the corn mixture into the skillet.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin